I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

M is for Malachite




Malachite is a beautiful stone with layers of light and dark green.  This makes it easy to recognize.  The lines can be straight, curvy or wiggly. 

Malachite, isn't this beautiful?

Malachite often results from the weathering of copper ores.  It is typically associated with copper deposits around limestone.  Sometimes it’s found as stalactites in caves.  Wouldn’t that be an amazing sight?

This malachite is from Arizona 

Malachite is found worldwide.  Arizona is the most notable place in the US.


Malachite specimens

Malachite can be used for ornaments, furniture and jewelry.  There are large vases in museums.


Malachite - this vase is in Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg

When I lived in Alaska in the 1970’s, we sold malachite and other gemstones, such as turquoise, in the leather store I worked in.  We had lots of items that used stone embellishments.  I still have a purse I made in the leather shop there and it has a drilled malachite closure.

Photos courtesy of Wikipedia and a gemstone site in the UK

2 comments:

  1. OK, stalactites are the ones that stick up from the cave floor, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      No, this is the one that hangs down from the ceiling in a cave. I remember that by thinking it has to be "tite" to stay attached to the ceiling. LOL

      Thanks for reading.

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni