I may chat about my books, what I'm writing or reading, or just general thoughts. You may read posts about my cats or just my crazy life in general. Comments are welcome, if anyone wants to interact with me. Maybe we can share war stories, whether it's writing related or just about life in general.

Sunday, April 1, 2018

A is for Alabaster



This is a mineral that’s been around since ancient times.  Back in the Roman era it was carved into vases, used as monuments and windows in churches and made into vessels.  The purest form is snow white with a fine uniform grain and is thin enough to see through, thus making it suitable for windows.

Artifact in the Egyptian Museum Cairo 

The origin of “alabaster” is from the middle Ages, but it seems no one knows exactly where this word came from.  Some say old French, others say Latin, and still others say Greek or ancient Egypt.

Alabaster is soft so carves easily, but this quality also makes it unsuitable for outdoor work.  Fine alabaster is used as ornamental stone, especially in cathedrals and on stair rails, vases, etc.

From the Roman Empire

Alabaster is porous so it can be dyed into any color by immersing it into the dye bath and heating it to certain temperatures.  Caution must be used, however, because it can be easily ruined by too much heat and that causes the stone to have a milky white look much like chalk.  This ruins its translucent appearance.

Fossanova Abbey in Latina Italy

Gypsum alabaster is the softer of the two alabaster types.  The other is calcite alabaster found in caves.  Gypsum alabaster artifacts have been in Egypt.  They date back to the late fourth millennium BC.  Gypsum alabaster can also be found in Spain, Italy, England and Wales.


There is also a rare black alabaster that can be found in only three places in the world, Oklahoma, Italy and China.

All pictures courtesy of wikipedia

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. pilch,

      Thanks. I'm not sure how I'll manage this, so I signed up at the last minute. But now since I'm probably out of a job I'm doing it after all, but will keep them short.

      I want to visit as many as I can, but it depends on my job situation. I guess life is full of unexpected surprises.

      Sunni

      Delete
  2. I love it: "Italy, China, and Oklahoma"... great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      Yeah, I know. Who would ever think Oklahoma was on that list?

      Sunni

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by to read and
comment on my posts. I appreciate it.
Sunni